12 Plumbing Facts You Probably Never Knew
At Oliver, our plumbing service is almost as popular as our HVAC services. From toilets to sewer lines to showers and more we ve got you covered. For fun, check out these interesting facts that you may not have known about plumbing:
2. If you have a leaky faucet that drips twice per minute, you ll waste over a gallon of water in a week.
3. The flushing toilet was invented by John Harrington in 1596, which is where we get the nickname the John. We also call the toilet the crapper because of Thomas Crapper, who widely increased the popularity of it.
4. Mario and Luigi (of the video game Super Mario Brothers) are plumbers.
5. Ever hear the myth that when you flush a toilet in the Southern Hemisphere, the water flows the opposite direction? It s not true. It s possible for the water to flow either direction in either hemisphere.
6. The word plumber comes from the Latin word plumbum, which means lead.
7. There are two different types of plungers a toilet plunger and a sink/shower plunger. Toilet plungers narrow at the bottom to fit into the toilet while sink/shower plungers are flat.
8. In 1939, Al Moen invented the single-handle faucet that can control hot and cold water in just one turn.
9. Insulating your home s pipes can reduce the amount of heat lost as your water travels from your heater to your faucet. You ll run less water waiting for it to warm up and save money on your utility bills.
10. The floating mechanism in your toilet s water tank is called a ballcock and it controls the flow of water.
11. The first fire sprinkler system was invented by a British man named Sir William Congreve. He perforated pipes along the ceiling and installed a valve outside the building that could be opened to send water through them.
12. Manhole covers are circular because if they re turned sideways, they can t fall through their own opening.
Our plumbing service experts can repair nearly any plumbing issue you may have just give us a call !