Intercare Corporate Group Inc. opened it’s first Hospice Unit in March 2005. Chinook Hospice, a 14 bed unit, and Southwood Hospice, a 24 bed Hospice, promises to provide those clients facing terminal illness the best quality of alternative care. Referrals to Hospice are made through the Alberta Health Services / Calgary Zone Palliative Care Team or through the Family Physician.
Hospice is about living life to the fullest in a secure, respectful and compassionate environment. Comprehensive care, focused on easing the physical, emotional and spiritual pain that often accompanies terminal illness, is offered by the hospice team-our dedicated and specialized team of professionals.
In fulfilling Intercare’s vision of being the Heart of Excellence , Hospices offers:
- A warm and supportive living environment
- Flexibility and encouragement for clients, their families and friends
- Personal care and assistance with daily living activities
- Counseling services for emotional and spiritual support
- Educational opportunities for clients, families and the care team
- To work with the local community to facilitate a broader understanding of hospice life
- Attending Physician providing care in collaboration with the hospice team and in consultation with palliative care physician consultants.
- Clinical Team Leader is responsible for the overall operation of the Hospice Unit and coordinates care with residents, families, staff and Attending Physicians.
- Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses focused on maintaining comfort, symptom and preventative management
- Resident Care Aides to provide personal care and daily assistance
- Social Worker supporting families with personal, financial / non-financial affairs and community sources enabling the development of a support network and bereavement services
- Spiritual Coordinator offering spiritual direction
- Trained Volunteers providing friendly support, companionship, encouragement and assistance in activities of daily living
- Contract Pharmacist ensures that the most appropriate and safest medications are provided and reviews medications with the Attending Physician and nursing staff
- On-call and twenty-four hour medical availability
We would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to some of our key staff, the people who are responsible for the care of our residents: